Pulled sandwiches always look delicious, and, since I don’t eat pork, I was determined to find the perfect pulled chicken…and I think I did! This recipe is great for summer BBQs, and would be a perfect addition to your Canada or Independence day celebrations.
Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup mild chili sauce (such as Heinz Chili Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked (Spanish) paprika
- ½ cup water
- 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 10+ of your favourite buns (I used whole wheat onion buns)
Preheat oven to 300oF.
Combine ketchup, chili sauce, sugar, vinegar, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, and water in a heavy ovenproof pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken and make sure it is immersed in the liquid.
Place in oven and bake slowly for 2 hours.
Remove chicken and place in a separate bowl. Reduce sauce on the stove for 5-8 minutes, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. While this is reducing, shred chicken with two forks, then add to sauce when it’s done. Mix well and serve in buns.
4 thoughts on “The Perfect Pulled Chicken”
Oh, delish. My boys would just love that. TY for posting the recipe. 🙂
Putting this on the menu for next week. Looks delicious! 🙂
This looks delicious! I like the use of chicken instead of pork.
We made this for a large group and every single person ate every last bit. DELICIOUS!!!!!