Soup is the perfect solution to the weather getting cooler, especially if you have the good fortune, like myself, to catch a cold that also comes with this time of year. So I’ve said it before, I’m not good with vegetables and am constantly working on adding more to my approved list, and this soup makes me want to eat peas all the time! The spices really set it off, it’s good for you, and it’s quick and easy to make (I couldn’t help myself with the title). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Pea and Spinach Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 package (2 lbs/1 kg) frozen green sweet peas or baby peas (do not defrost)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh basil
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until golden. Add remaining ingredients, except basil, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Add in basil and using an immersion blender, purée the soup while still in the pot, or purée in batches in a blender or food processor. Adjust the seasoning to taste, serve and enjoy!
Inspired by a recipe from Norene Gilletz