I’m really awful at mornings. So when I can find a recipe that I can grab to go, tastes good and is good for me, I’m a happy camper. This recipe has the perfect ratio of blueberry to muffin, and just the right amount of sweetness. Scroll down for more pictures, hope you enjoy!
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1⅔ cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour (just over ⅓ cup)
- 2.33 ounces whole-wheat flour (just under ⅓ cup)
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups low-fat buttermilk (you can make your own)
- ¼ cups canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (approx. 1 lemon)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 400oF and spray two muffin pans with cooking spray.
Place oats in a food processor and pulse 5-6 times or until oats resemble coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.
Add flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to oats. Mix well with fork or whisk, then make well in centre.
Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs) in a medium bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir until just moist.
In a small bowl, toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour until well coated (tip: it’s so they don’t sink to the bottom of the batter). Scoop blueberries out with fork to separate from excess flour, and gently fold them into the batter.
Spoon into 16 muffin cups and sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar evenly over batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched in centre. Remove from pans immediately, and place on wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Source: Cooking Light